Friday 19 April 2013

Evaluation - Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

Here is my preliminary task. In it it included match on action and a shot-reverse shot sequence that applied the 180 degree rule. Whilst it correctly applied these aspects, it did lack a lot of key techniques and skills of which I have since developed. 

One aspect was sound. The only sound which I used during my preliminary task was non-diagetic dialogue. This, whilst not really hindering the clip, could have been improved in order to make it a more successful, dynamic and profession task. Since that point, I have improved my ability to include foley sounds into my editing, as shown within our task - 'fart shoes'. This is perhaps one of the most useful skills throughout my progression from my preliminary task to my final product. This is because, as stated above, it allows the media to sound effective and professional, which, in my opinion, is one of the most important aspects of editing. Another thing I learnt during the progression from my preliminary task to my final product was the method of producing these non-diagetic sounds. We achieved this by pre-recording the sounds, in this case, the voice over and 'fart' sounds, and edited them separately into the Adobe Premier Pro software. Indeed, this took some time to get get used to, especially as I had to constantly crop single sounds to make them in sync with the footsteps of the character. This was perhaps the most difficult skill throughout my experience with foley sounds. Nevertheless, I was able to apply them successfully into the piece, allowing it to sound effective and believable. Therefore, another thing which I learnt throughout my progression was the control over the sounds on the software. Here is the foley task in consideration:

Another aspect of my progression from the creation of my preliminary task to my final product was the use of camera techniques. This involves the effective application of camera movement, effects, equipment and shots. To start with, there was very limited camera movement within the preliminary task. Although I was not directing the camera at that point, I did have an influence towards the use of the camera. However, as it happens, we were not the most educated in that department. Since then, I have learnt a vast amount about the use of camera movement to achieve desired affects, including; the types of camera movement available - my post about my research into camera movement outlined this, and what effect they achieve. For example, a simple pan and tilt can be used to give more information to the viewer by revealing an important aspect of a scene. It can also be used for connoting power as a low-angled tilt could be used for such an effect. A crane shot could also be used to such effect, such as that in Alfred Hitchcock's 'Psycho', where Norman Bates is seen fleeing his 'mother' into the basement. This type of shot created an omniscient narration where the viewer is almost disembodied as they aren't positioned with any character in particular. My progression of camera movement is exemplified through my final product, especially in the second scene where a figure walks across a grave yard.
In this scene there is a pan over the church which introduces the audience to the fact that there is a character in the scene. Then, the second use of camera movement creates an omniscient narration, just like that in Psycho, where the audience see the action from a third person perspective. For these reason's I believe I have learnt a huge amount about camera movement and its application into media products. 
My use of equipment has also taken a huge leap during my progression. Within my preliminary task, there was limited use of equipment through the SLR camera and a tripod. This limited use of equipment restricted the number of effects I could achieve as a tripod has very little maneuverability. However, throughout my progression I have learned about different equipment which, evidently, have improved my filming skills. Perhaps most notably is the use of a dolly which I included in my final media product. Here is an example of how I used this piece of equipment to effect: 
I was very happy with the shots I achieved with this piece of equipment, because they allowed me to produce connotations towards the characters. For example, an zooming tracking shot connotes a growing of power and dominance, whereas in contrast, a reverse tracking shot could connote weakness. Therefore, my development of knowledge towards the dolly came in very handy; helping me produce more effective shots in my final piece. 
Editing is another aspect which I was able to enhance both my knowledge and application of. This was perhaps one of the trickiest aspects to get a grip of because I was starting completely fresh, whereas I had used the likes of a camera and tripod before. My main progression has already been outlined in another evaluation question. However, in short, I have improved a lot. In my preliminary task, there was limited use of  transactions, such as dissolves and fades, as well as a lack of other effects such as cropping and colour correction. I feel I have learnt to apply these successfully, among others, in my final media product, making it a more sophisticated, professional piece. 

Finally, and perhaps most crucially, I have learnt tonnes about successful directing techniques which came in incredibly useful towards the creation of my final product. Such skills included organisation of settings, mise-en-scene, and my ability to communicate effectively with actors. My organisation of settings, notably the application of mise-en-scene, in the preliminary task was almost non-existent.
I had little knowledge of how the mise-en-scene of a scene could effect how the characters are perceived and how it may impact on the rest of the production. Now, however, I have been able to successfully apply that into my film opening through the use of my almost cell-like setting and low key lighting. I also had little knowledge of how a character's clothing could have the same effect. My preliminary task showed no evidence of this knowledge, however I was able to produce a whole character biography for my protagonist, displaying detailed knowledge of how their image was to connote the personality of that character. Indeed, there is evidence of a large amount of progress in the organisation and application of mise-en-scene, which is undoubtably a key aspect of a successful film opening. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment